[Westwood Heritage Society]
The Declaration of Independence
of The United States of America Plaque

     In the Autumn of 1931, The Bergen Evening Record newspaper company presented an etched brass plaque of a handwritten version of The Declaration of Independence of The United States of America to the faculty and students of the Westwood School that was located at the northwest corner of Third Avenue and Mill Street.

     The plaque was displayed in the hallway near the north entrance of the Westwood School, where it remained until the building, which had last housed the Westwood Jr. High School, was scheduled for demolition.

     In Spring of 1995, prior to the building's demolition, members of the Westwood Heritage Society were given the opportunity to tour the building and to remove any remaining artifacts that were of significance to the history of the Borough of Westwood.   One of the items that was saved on that day was The Declaration of Independence of The United States of America plaque.

     The plaque, which was covered with many decades of grime and oxidation, was stored in the Society's archives, until it could be restored, and a suitable location for its display could be determined.

     In 2008, the Society began research, with the assistance of professionals at Westwood Gallery, to locate a preservatist to restore & preserve the plaque.   The cleaning & preservation phase of the project was completed in early 2009.

[The Declaration of Independence of The United States of America plaque]
The Declaration of Independence
of The United States of America plaque

     In July 2009, the Society installed the restored plaque in the Westwood Municipal Complex, on the wall (of the landing of the stairway to the second floor) below the stained glass window of the Borough seal.

     The plaque is now on permanent display and can be viewed by all residents and visitors to the Municipal Complex.

     Research indicates that this plaque might have been made from an engraving that was originally made by printer William J. Stone in 1823



 
[Previous Page]
 



Date Last Updated: September 1, 2009 Copyright © 2009