| Westwood's first taxi stand was located on the northwest corner of the current intersection of Broadway and Washington Avenue, by the railroad crossing.
(Note the Meyer's Park Hotel in the background.)|
Inter-city buses began serving the Borough on a regular basis about 1915, but passengers merely waited for the bus -- rain or shine -- at the corner of Broadway and Westwood Avenue.
Finally, in the early 1950s a permanent bus station was built on the site of the taxi stand, and passengers were able to wait for the bus, sheltered from the weather.|
Bus station in 1952
However, the condition of this bus station deteriorate over the years, and in May 1990 the Westwood Heritage Society began a project that would refurbish the bus station, redesigning it in a style that was more in keeping with the Borough's heritage.
Bus station during reconstruction
The reconstruction project was performed by members of the Westwood Heritage Society and other residents & tradesmen of the Borough, who donated time, skills and materials.
Refurbished bus station
The project was completed in a period of approximately three months, and the refurbished (and redsigned) bus station has served residents and visitors for more than a decade. (Note in the background The Iron Horse Restaurant -- the old Meyer's Park Hotel building.)
The bus shelter was demolished in late August of 2008 in order to widen south bound Broadway -- providing a right turn lane to allievate traffic congestion.
|Date Last Updated: September 1, 2008||Copyright © 2006-2008|