|Westwood Museum Exhibit|
Van Emburgh & Bogert General Store|
The 'Van Emburgh & Bogert General Store' exhibit, which opened in February 2006, provides an historic record of the changes that have occurred on the block of Broadway (formerly Railroad Avenue) opposite the Westwood Train Station, stretching from Westwood Avenue to Jefferson Avenue.|
For example, Benjamin Z. Van Emburgh & Isaac D. Bogert opened the Van Emburgh & Bogert General Store, the first grocery store in Westwood, on the southeast corner of Westwood Avenue and Railroad Avenue in 1869.
Van Emburgh & Bogert General Store
The store offered a great variety of groceries and general stores, ranging from eggs to lumber and almost everything in between -- flour, meat, fish, linens, shoes, coal, etc. In addition to the general store, there was also a smokehouse, where the meats and fish were cured, and Westwood's first post office located on the site.
The Bank of America building currently occupies the site of the Van Emburgh & Bogert General Store.
|Date Last Updated: February 17, 2006||Copyright © 2006|